Policies and Guidelines
Land and Water Board Documents
- Engagement and Consultation Policy
- Engagement Guidelines for Applicants and Holders of Water Licences and Land Use Permits
- Standard Land Use Permit Conditions Template
- Standard Process for Creating New Conditions
- Guide to the Land Use Permitting Process
- Late Comment Submission Policy
- Water Use Fee Policy (already in effect)
- Water and Effluent Quality Management Policy. 2011.
- Guidelines for Developing a Waste Management Plan. 2011
- MVLWB Policy on Transboundary Applications – 2005
- MVLWB Creation and Maintenance of Governance Documents – 2005
- Rules of Procedure, Including Public Hearings - January 14, 2004.
- City of Yellowknife Determination – August 18, 2011
- Frequently Asked Questions – City of Yellowknife Determination
- DRAFT: Guidelines for Adaptive Management – A Response Framework for Aquatic Effects Monitoring.You will find further information on this topic in the following journal article: Linking Environmental Assessment to Environmental Regulation Through Adaptive Management
The following documents were not created by the Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board.
Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs
- Government of Canada. Guidelines for Designing and Implementing Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs for Development Projects in the Northwest Territories. 2009.
Consultation and Engagement
- Government of Canada. Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation: Updated Guidelines for Federal Officials to Fulfill the Duty to Consult. March 2011.
- Professional Developers Association of Canada (PDAC). E3Plus: A Framework for Responsible Exploration: Principles and Guidance. 2009.
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Industry Practices: Developing Effective Working Relationships with Aboriginal Communities. 2006.
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Guide for Effective Public Involvement. 2003.
- New: Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Fish Screen Design Criteria for Flood and Water Truck Pumps
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Guidelines for Designing and Implementing Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs for Development Projects in the Northwest Territories: Recommended Procedures for Developing Detailed Designs for Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs. 2008.
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Spill Contingency Guidelines. 2007.
- CCME. Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life. Site-Specific Guidance. 2003.
- Government of the Northwest Territories. Environmental Guideline for Contaminated Site Remediation
- Government of the Northwest Territories. Guidelines for the Planning, Design, Operations and Maintenance of Modified Solid Waste Sites in the Northwest Territories
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) Guidelines
Mine Closure and Reclamation
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Mine Site Reclamation Policy for the NWT. 2002.
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Mine Site Reclamation Guidelines. 2007.
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, NT Region). Cold Regions Cover System Design Technical Guidance Document (MEND Report 1.16.5c)
- Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board (MVRB). Environmental Impact Assessment Guidelines. 2004.
- MVRB. Socio-Economic Impact Assessment Guidelines. 2007.
- MVRB. Guidelines for Incorporating Traditional Knowledge in Environmental Impact Assessment. 2005.
- Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Center. Archaelogical Guidelines for Developers