Applicants for Land Use Permits and Water Licences are encouraged to be familiar with the Acts and Regulations that govern the use of land and water, and the deposit of waste in the Mackenzie Valley. The Resources section of our website is dedicated to providing helpful and accurate information to all stakeholders. If you have ideas for content that would be helpful, please contact Simon Whitehouse via email.
Land and Water Board Documents
*Please note that as a result of devolution, as of April 1, 2014, legislative references have changed. Relevant products will be updated to reflect these changes.
Should you have any questions regarding these documents, please contact Angela Plautz.
- MVLWB Water Use Fee Policy (2021).
- Land and Water Board Transboundary Policy (2019).
- LWB Engagement and Consultation Policy (2023).
- Information for Proponents on the MVLWB's Engagement Requirements
- MVLWB Water and Effluent Quality Management Policy (2011).
- MVLWB/GNWT/CIRNAC Guidelines for Closure and Reclamation Cost Estimates for Mines (2022).
- MVLWB Guide to the Water Licensing Process (2021).
- MVLWB Guide to the Land Use Permitting Process (2021).
- MVLWB Guideline for the Design, Operation, Monitoring, Maintenance and Closure of Petroleum Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soil Treatment Facilities in the Northwest Territories (2020).
- MVLWB/GNWT Guidelines for Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs (2019).
- MVLWB Engagement Guidelines for Applicants and Holders of Water Licences and Land Use Permits (2018).
- MVLWB/GNWT Guidelines for Effluent Mixing Zones (2017).
- MVLWB Guidelines for the Closure and Reclamation of Advanced Mineral Exploration and Mine Sites in the Northwest Territories (2013).
- MVLWB Guidelines for Developing a Waste Management Plan (2011).
- MVEIRB Guidelines for Incorporating Traditional Knowledge in Environmental Impact Assessment (2005).
- MVLWB Geospatial Data Submission Standards (2021).
- MVLWB Method for Determining Winter Water Source Capacity for Small-Scale Developments (2021).
- MVLWB Standard Outline for Management Plans (2021).
- GNWT Standards for Reporting Water Quality Information (2020).
- MVLWB Standard Land Use Permit Conditions Template - Version 2.3 (.word) (.pdf) (2020).
- MVLWB Standard Water Licence Conditions and Schedules - Version 2.0 (.word) (.pdf) (2022).
- MVLWB Document Submission Standards (2019).
- MVLWB Standard Process for New Conditions (2013).
MVLWB/GNWT Operation and Maintenance Plan Templates for Municipal Water Licences:
- Sewage Disposal Facilities (SDF) (2018).
- Solid Waste Disposal Facilities (SWDF) (2018).
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP) (2018).
- Spill Contingency Plan (2018).
Determinations and Decisions
- MVLWB Reasons for Decision on the Interpretation of Subsection 26 of the MVLUR - April 22_21
- MVLWB City of Yellowknife Determination – Aug 18_11
- Frequently Asked Questions – City of Yellowknife Determination
Memorandums of Understanding
- MOU - MVLWB & Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations (2014).
- MOU - MVLWB & National Energy Board (2013).
- MOU - MVLWB & Parks Canada (2012).