Applicants for Land Use Permits and Water Licences are encouraged to be familiar with the Acts and Regulations that govern the use of land and water, and the deposit of waste in the Mackenzie Valley. The Resources section of our website is dedicated to providing helpful and accurate information to all stakeholders. If you have ideas for content that would be helpful, please contact Simon Whitehouse via email.
- LWB Municipal Water Licences: Roles and Responsibilities (2018)
- LWB Municipal Water Licence Questionnaire (2016)
MVLWB/GNWT Operations and Maintenance Plan Templates for Municipal Water Licences
- Sewage Disposal Facilities (SDF) (2018)
- Solid Waste Disposal Facilities (SWDF) (2018)
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP) (2018)
- Spill Contingency Plan (2018)
- ECCC Solid Waste Management for Northern and Remote Communities - Planning and Technical Guidance Document (March 2017)
- GNWT Household Hazardous Wastes (referenced on page 7)
- GNWT Drum Disposal Protocol for Municipal Landfill
- GNWT Municipal Solid Wastes Suitable for Open Burning
- GNWT Guide to Recycling Mercury-Containing Lamps
- GNWT Guideline for the Management of Waste Antifreeze
- GNWT Guidelines for the Management of Waste Asbestos
- GNWT Guideline for the Management of Waste Batteries
- GNWT Guideline for the Management of Waste Lead and Lead Paint
MVLWB Water Licences: Municipal Compliance and Cooperation
The Land and Water Boards of the Mackenzie Valley are responsible for issuing water licences to community governments as required by the Waters Act. However, the responsibility of ensuring and monitoring compliance is shared with the various departments of the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT).
In May 2016, the Boards requested collaboration with the GNWT to improve water licence (WL) compliancy and the effectiveness of the current licencing process.
In March 2017, the Boards received joint response from the Ministers of the GNWT departments.